We got up early this morning, showered, packed and then went for breakfast. Afterwards we checked out, which turned into a bit of an argument over 4 cups of tea we had never ordered but incidentally paid for. As they were taking forever to understand and process this (the jury is still out on the intent side of things!) we ended up giving up as time was getting tight for our bus journey for Chennai. It was only €4 but you do get pissed off with the amount of (attempted) scamming going on - but we'll reflect this in our TripAdvisor review where short term gain can turn into long-term loss - of business.
After this we called an auto-rickshaw and went to the main bus station. However after asking around about the bus stop for our service we realised that the station is not the pickup point.
Claire went off in search for the ticket office of Universal Travels while I started war dialling them and minded our luggage. After 10 minutes of futile attempts I finally got through just as Claire returned after waking the ticket guy in his office, with the location, which was confirmed over the phone before the guy rudely hung up.
So off to Indira Gandhi bus stand we went with all our luggage for a 1km sweaty trot and finally found after 15 minutes. 10 minutes later the bus arrived - early and empty - and we were on our way to Chennai.
The journey took 3.5 hours and despite Claire taking a total 2 anti-sickness pills she still ended up with a sick stomach during our journey - but we came well prepared with plastic bags for this event. So from now on we'll stick to flights and trains, which incidentally has been the case for all our future bookings after this. Only fly in the ointment will be the government-run bus trip from Delhi to Agra and the Taj Mahal where we won't be able to avoid the bus.
On arriving at the bus station in Chennai we were immediately overrun by auto-rickshaw drivers. Unfortunately we were 7km away and we had to take an auto-rickshaw. They started out at Rs.300,- but I just laughed at them and started picking up our bags to go for another rickshaw driver so they asked what I was willing to pay and although I knew that the meter would be less than Rs.100,- (Lonely Planet rightly states that getting a Chennai auto-rickshaw driver to go by the meter is a Vatican-certified miracle!) I offered Rs.150,- - we ended up at Rs.200,- which was still well more than twice the official rate but Claire wasn't feeling so fantastic after the bus journey and we relented.
We arrived at Malles Manotaa, the serviced apartment complex just off a main road side street, and it turned out to be nice, clean and spacious enough for us but at a well lower cost than a hotel - and with a kitchen and separate sitting area and a desk+chair. In particular the kitchen(ette) we have missed so that we can do our own thing and not have to eat out for every meal.
So immediately following our check-in we walked off and ended up on the major Anna Salai street where we found a Spencer Mall shopping centre - we went there to a smallish food court and hat pizza in a Pizza Hut - this time I wasn't the driver; Claire wanted pizza. Thankfully they turned out to serve thin-crust pizzas (never seen that before in a Pizza Hut!) and we both ordered one. The pizzas were actually surprisingly OK but the total did come in at a whopping Rs.900,- or €15,-, which is very-very pricey for India. Afterwards we had a quick look around at the shops but didn't find anything of interest and pottered on towards the city centre.
After a bit of sightseeing there we decided to try out the suburban train I had accidentally discovered on Google Maps and further research on the bus here. Turns out that you can travel 10+km on the train for Rs.4,- (€0.08) per person and while it's not pretty it's very functional and people certainly nicer and less rushed than in the also not-so-nice London Underground - and a LOT cheaper. And the beauty of it is that we have a station a 10 minute walk away from our apartment. This will cut leeching & scamming auto-rickshaw drivers to an absolute minimum, in fact we may actually not need them at all as we can go to Park station to take another train down to the famous Marina Beach and beyond - really handy! The same goes for the day we leave as the train stops near the central station too. It is however beyond me why the Lonely Planet and other guides are not mentioning this excellent transport system, which is also extended with a Mass Transit Metro system as we speak.
Back at the Kodambakkam station near us, we decided to go and hunt down the equivalent of a Tesco Metro called Spenser's Daily (not M&S!) that I had spotted on Google Maps too, which is only a 20 minute walk from our apartment. There we did an extensive shop and even found microwavable Indian meals that we bought 4 of, as well as instant noodles, bread, honey, cheese etc etc etc. We stocked up well and then went back to our apartment.
For dinner we settled with a Knorr(!) vegetable soup with bread and cream cheese - yum, nearly like being home! ;-)
Afterwards I went in search for a gym nearby with one of the guys with reception whom I bribed Rs.50,- to bring me around for this. I managed to find a new place called F99 degrees, which was really nice and air-conditioned. They charge locals a criminal(!) Rs.3.500,- per month (Rs.400,- per month of a weight lifting joint just down the road) and they offered me a week for Rs.1.500,- - after much negotiation I got them down to Rs.1.100,- and I hope to make use of it tomorrow.
Afterwards I came back to the apartment and Claire and I relaxed with some telly before going to bed.
After this we called an auto-rickshaw and went to the main bus station. However after asking around about the bus stop for our service we realised that the station is not the pickup point.
Claire went off in search for the ticket office of Universal Travels while I started war dialling them and minded our luggage. After 10 minutes of futile attempts I finally got through just as Claire returned after waking the ticket guy in his office, with the location, which was confirmed over the phone before the guy rudely hung up.
So off to Indira Gandhi bus stand we went with all our luggage for a 1km sweaty trot and finally found after 15 minutes. 10 minutes later the bus arrived - early and empty - and we were on our way to Chennai.
The journey took 3.5 hours and despite Claire taking a total 2 anti-sickness pills she still ended up with a sick stomach during our journey - but we came well prepared with plastic bags for this event. So from now on we'll stick to flights and trains, which incidentally has been the case for all our future bookings after this. Only fly in the ointment will be the government-run bus trip from Delhi to Agra and the Taj Mahal where we won't be able to avoid the bus.
On arriving at the bus station in Chennai we were immediately overrun by auto-rickshaw drivers. Unfortunately we were 7km away and we had to take an auto-rickshaw. They started out at Rs.300,- but I just laughed at them and started picking up our bags to go for another rickshaw driver so they asked what I was willing to pay and although I knew that the meter would be less than Rs.100,- (Lonely Planet rightly states that getting a Chennai auto-rickshaw driver to go by the meter is a Vatican-certified miracle!) I offered Rs.150,- - we ended up at Rs.200,- which was still well more than twice the official rate but Claire wasn't feeling so fantastic after the bus journey and we relented.
We arrived at Malles Manotaa, the serviced apartment complex just off a main road side street, and it turned out to be nice, clean and spacious enough for us but at a well lower cost than a hotel - and with a kitchen and separate sitting area and a desk+chair. In particular the kitchen(ette) we have missed so that we can do our own thing and not have to eat out for every meal.
So immediately following our check-in we walked off and ended up on the major Anna Salai street where we found a Spencer Mall shopping centre - we went there to a smallish food court and hat pizza in a Pizza Hut - this time I wasn't the driver; Claire wanted pizza. Thankfully they turned out to serve thin-crust pizzas (never seen that before in a Pizza Hut!) and we both ordered one. The pizzas were actually surprisingly OK but the total did come in at a whopping Rs.900,- or €15,-, which is very-very pricey for India. Afterwards we had a quick look around at the shops but didn't find anything of interest and pottered on towards the city centre.
After a bit of sightseeing there we decided to try out the suburban train I had accidentally discovered on Google Maps and further research on the bus here. Turns out that you can travel 10+km on the train for Rs.4,- (€0.08) per person and while it's not pretty it's very functional and people certainly nicer and less rushed than in the also not-so-nice London Underground - and a LOT cheaper. And the beauty of it is that we have a station a 10 minute walk away from our apartment. This will cut leeching & scamming auto-rickshaw drivers to an absolute minimum, in fact we may actually not need them at all as we can go to Park station to take another train down to the famous Marina Beach and beyond - really handy! The same goes for the day we leave as the train stops near the central station too. It is however beyond me why the Lonely Planet and other guides are not mentioning this excellent transport system, which is also extended with a Mass Transit Metro system as we speak.
Back at the Kodambakkam station near us, we decided to go and hunt down the equivalent of a Tesco Metro called Spenser's Daily (not M&S!) that I had spotted on Google Maps too, which is only a 20 minute walk from our apartment. There we did an extensive shop and even found microwavable Indian meals that we bought 4 of, as well as instant noodles, bread, honey, cheese etc etc etc. We stocked up well and then went back to our apartment.
For dinner we settled with a Knorr(!) vegetable soup with bread and cream cheese - yum, nearly like being home! ;-)
Afterwards I went in search for a gym nearby with one of the guys with reception whom I bribed Rs.50,- to bring me around for this. I managed to find a new place called F99 degrees, which was really nice and air-conditioned. They charge locals a criminal(!) Rs.3.500,- per month (Rs.400,- per month of a weight lifting joint just down the road) and they offered me a week for Rs.1.500,- - after much negotiation I got them down to Rs.1.100,- and I hope to make use of it tomorrow.
Afterwards I came back to the apartment and Claire and I relaxed with some telly before going to bed.
| A new State Legislature building is being built - it appears that only the dome is missing |
| Outside a military facility near Chennai Beach |
| Indian nurses going to work next door in the little white uniforms |
| Chennai train station, administration building |
| Chennai train station |
No comments:
Post a Comment