Monday, 16 January 2012

15/01/2012

I woke up at around 4:00 with a queasy stomach - presumably after the food we had. I didn't get sick in but it did keep me awake for a couple of hours before I fell asleep again, only to wake up at around 9:00, still feeling a bit "off" after a toilet visit. So that restaurant last night is definitely struck off the list of future dining options.
Also, Claire got the common cold and is not feeling too well today.
Things took a further turn for the worse because I had topped up the Internet on my Indian SIM card two days ago in a local shop. But the "credit" never arrived on my account. After the local admin guy Nelish took it upon himself to rectify this and tried to talk to the shop keeper but was literally told "f*** off" I decided to take matters into my own hands.
So I went to the shop and had a major argument with the old female shop keeper after trying to reason with her only to have another punter drop in with exactly the same issue - she refused to ring up Vodafone to make amends and in the end she just ignored us both and I got so mad at her that I waved my arms around and said "You can keep the credit, fine - but I will be sure to tell everyone that care to listen that you're a scammer, cheating travellers out of their money!" She waved her arms in return and muttered some probably not-too-kind words as I left and took down the name of her shop on the way. So if you ever make it to Agonda beach: avoid the Jemeca "Vodafone" store at all cost!
I ended up calling Vodafone directly and after 30 minutes on the phone it was sorted - the old woman in the shop had screwed up in some way although I never found out how. Internet credit was applied to the account and I learnt how to check it by dialling "*111#" and then using an intricate menu system ("*141#" will simply give you your talk time balance in Rupees) - there is no Internet equivalent to do so in my Vodafone profile that I have found - so last-century... ;-) Also, I cannot use my credit cards to top up, they fail authorisation as presumably the address that the Vodafone account is registered in (Taj Mahal hotel) is different from my address back in Ireland - dang!
While I was calming myself down again we went to the beach for another couple of hours and had a swim as well - it was particularly hot today and the horizon very clear with little haze compared to the other days so far. Body and mind seriously melting away here... ;-)
We watched the sun go down over the sea, which has become a daily activity - and I took a few more pictures of the sunset. I will publish those at a later stage as I get them filtered.
Afterwards we went to a restaurant next to us by the name of Omkar and they cooked up the best curries (Fish Masala and Seafood Biryani) we have had while here - we will definitely return.
Finally we went back and just chilled out in the room with some Big Bang Theory on the laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment