Friday, 20 January 2012

18/01/2012

I was being lazy and ever so slightly hungover this morning and opted out of my daily morning run - instead we slept in and didn't get up until around 9:30, which is very left for us - in particular me. But we managed to sleep through usual noise from the crows, cocks, dogs and people in general.
The German Bakery has now become our default hangout for breakfast after my runs. The muesli/fruit/curd/honey combo is my favorite and Claire normally settles for fruit'n porridge with toast on the side. The DeLonghi coffee maker that they still have the box for hanging under the sign also makes a vast difference when compared to the weak instant coffee they serve elsewhere - although it's an expensive luxury, in relative terms, at about €1 per cup. We are contemplating alternatives such as buying a kettle, instant coffee and creamer.
A few days ago I spotted a dentist and made an appointment. Today I went for my appointment, which was cleaning, scaling and a general examination. The dentist was very nice and she had it all done in less than 30 minutes; looked like a good job and didn't really hurt - downside was that she counted 5 cavities that need filling at some point - ouch! Yes, it's about 1 1/2 years ago I went to the dentist last (the best dentist ever, A.D. Hewett on the Isle of Man!), shame on me! Now I can pay for it in pain and local currency!
But at R.900,- per cavity (with plastic fillings - silver fillings would be R.600,- but there's mercury in that stuff and the Danes have stopped using it because of the vapour!) with the prospect of a discount we're probably looking at less than €70,- for the whole lot. In Ireland it would likely have cost €400,- or more. She also told me that my missing tooth would eventually cause those next to it to skew and she recommended either an implant or a crown - something no other dentist has told me. Not one to like having stuff drilled into my cranium I asked her about the crown. Given that I need 3 parts at R.10.000,- each (there's cheaper options but they contain metal that may mis-colour my other teeth), we're talking around R30.000,- - or about €500,-. I am not going to get it done this time - but in Ireland a similar procedure would likely cost €2-3.000,- so the savings of going abroad and getting it done would well pay 2-3 weeks of holidays in Goa with flights - the procedure requires me to be there for 8 days so well within the schedule of an upcoming holiday ;-)
I spoke to Claire and we agreed that she will have her teeth examined and cleaned too at the same dentist - and she can then make an assessment while there as to how good this dentist is. If she gives the OK then I'll get my cavities fixed here.
Afterwards we spent a few hours on the beach while contemplating our upcoming move to Shanti tomorrow.
We went to Omkar for dinner after showering and changing where we had some more fish curry - as always, really yummy food - this is great! ;-)
Afterwards we watched some more episodes of The Big Bang theory on the laptop before going to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment