Saturday, 21 January 2012

20/01/2012

I got up early for my morning run only to realise that the tide was in again. Running on loose and wet sand - again - really didn't appeal so after 10 minutes on the beach I took a shortcut to the back-road where I continued to run for another 25 minutes, while the locals were gawking - all probably wondering why I was not on the beach.
Claire had booked a physio appointment for 11:00 due to her back problems - in Magao, a large town about 40km from here. So we went for a quick breakfast before meeting with our friend Vino who drove us there.
Claire went for the appointment while I went scouting for stuff in a rather busy town. I have really gotten into the Indian way of navigating the streets, walking across the road while cars, scooters and pedestrians zip by in what appears to be an attempt on your life!
While walking around I actually managed to find a travel kettle for boiling water with 2 cups and after some haggling I ended up paying around €16 for it. Great! I then went in search for a power adapter and found one of those as well behind the other shop in a small alley.
I then came across a small park in the middle of town and decided to have a look - only to be attacked by some local lunatic who wanted to shake my hand and held onto it with both his hands while wanting to talk about where I was from - he was really in-your-face, while speaking Dutch and English to me, and I only managed to shake him and get my hand back when I had to take a phone call from Claire. I never really figured out what he was trying to tell me - but I think he had lived in the The Netherlands at some point, maybe...?!
I returned and met up with Claire and we did a short walk in town before we came across a general store that had Tata Premium coffee and Nescafe creamer, enabling us to make coffee on-the-fly in our hut - yippie... And it will save us a bundle of money too in the long run ;-) I reckon that we can make a cup of coffee for an average of R6-7,- per cup as opposed to a small cup costing R.40,- in the German bakery.
For the rest of the day we relaxed on the beach and Claire had her eye brows threaded while I had a swim. We returned to the D'Raj restaurant for curries in the evening, which didn't let us down, and afterwards we went back to the hut and watched the second Harry Potter after stocking up on sweets! :-)
Madgaon Council in the City Centre

A small park in the middle of Madgaon

Local rice and chilli fields near Agonda beach

No comments:

Post a Comment