Friday, 20 January 2012

19/01/2012

This morning I went for a run, which ended up with a bonus workout as I helped out a bunch of elderly fisher men & women pulling their boat out of water and up unto the beach, using round pieces of wood underneath. A running girl that I had passed on the way up also stopped and helped out and a few minutes later we were done. Life here is simple - I could seriously get used to it.
Perhaps I should open a Danish bakery & pastry shop here, in direct competition with the German bakery - I like to think that we are better at that sort of stuff than the Germans - and after sampling some of their coconut & chocolate biscuits today it was confirmed - we could definitely do better, they should stick to bread ;-) Coffee on the other hand would be a real challenge to beat - so a short no-prisoners price war would probably be better in order to attract customers ;-)
So anyway, today we moved from Om Sai to Shanti. The hut we are moving to is nearly as nice as the one we moved from but the veranda is actually much better as it is so big that we have both a table and a full-size sun lounger/futon there. Also we have a much better view over the beach as there are no obstacles in front of us other than a lonely tree and some wooden sculptures. At a cost of only R.1.300,- per night (€20,-) that is a pretty good bargain we think.
Our concern about noise levels in the hut from the restaurant next to us were not entirely unfounded - but far from a noisy as we expected, which is great.
After the packing, move and unpacking, as well as saying goodbye to Nelish, I went to the beach while Claire stayed out of the sun (on the veranda - she has taken ownership of the futon) due to a bit of sun burn on her chest and in her face.
Afterwards we skipped the sunset walk and instead opted to stay on the veranda where I was listening to some chillout music and Claire was reading while we watched the sun come down.
We decided to eat in the Shanti restaurant seeing as we now live here. I sampled my first Jhinga Lebabdar ever, which was prawns in an incredibly nice and rich sauce, which was baked with egg white at the sides - hard to explain, but one of the best curries I have ever had. Look up the recipe online, it's well worth a try! We had a bottle of Madera white wine to accompanny the food again (from Nashik) - and by the time we returned to the hut we both well sleepy and only survived a single episode of Family Guy before lights-out at 21:30! ;-)
Our local German Bakery

Some local festival attender with his souped-up bull outside the bakery
Our new hut

Our new home - Shanti - our hut is the one to the far right

No comments:

Post a Comment